Saturday, January 23, 2010

Pi: The movie

     Ok a post after a long time, so what's pi? Everyone knows it as 22\7, but why it's 22\7?...Why can't it be some 11\3 or some other irrational number? Those questions have haunted me for some time but i am no Einstein so never spent time wasting my mind thinking about it, but i saw this movie called "Pi".
9:13, Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal. I was terrified, alone in that darkness. Slowly daylight crept in through the bandages, and I could see, but something else had changed inside of me. That day I had my first headache.
 What a movie was that?Was that a movie? those are the questions haunting me these days.This movie has a story which probably you won't understand but you will be glued to the seat until the end. At first i started watching the movie with no knowledge about what it would be, wow, it's a BLACK AND WHITE movie and i was thinking it might have been taken in some 50's but to my horror it's a movie from the year 1998, so what would a movie in black and white made in 98 would offer?, i thought but again it was one thriller of a movie i was glued to my chair in front of the computer even until the end-titles ran out. Then later i realized the same team which worked for "Requiem for Dream" were the makers of this movie also, Requiem is one of my favorite movie and now Pi is also on the list. It's about a mathematician who works hard to find what the pi is and apply it to the stock markets and in other applications but he faces problems in the due course that's how the story is made up of. I recommend this as a must watch,it has fast paced music,screenplay,camera work(though it's black and white, it's very good) everything about the movie was pacy and good, here's link for it's rating and other stuff.
Restate my assumptions: 1, Mathematics is the language of nature. 2, Everything around us can be represented and understood through numbers. 3: If you graph the numbers of any system, patterns emerge. Therefore, there are patterns everywhere in nature. Evidence: The cycling of disease epidemics;the wax and wane of caribou populations; sun spot cycles; the rise and fall of the Nile. So, what about the stock market? The universe of numbers that represents the global economy. Millions of hands at work, billions of minds. A vast network, screaming with life. An organism. A natural organism. My hypothesis: Within the stock market, there is a pattern as well... Right in front of me... hiding behind the numbers. Always has been.

No comments:

Post a Comment